Thursday, January 24, 2013

Featured artist: Kellie Christie Design colorful jewelry, resin, and shrink plastic

So a week or so ago I was voting away in the etsy contest and came across this adorable little brooch:

Retro Caravan Brooch - Pink - Made to Order56th place January 15th, 2013
Hue Tuesday! Blue items from $15-$17.99.

Retro Caravan Brooch - Pink - Made to Order
by kelliechristie




It was SO CUTE I had to click on the whole shop, favorite it, and interview the artist, you know how it is. kelliechristie's shop is colorful and delightful, and you can find her on facebook as well.

What got started making handmade items?
Kellie Christie Design developed from a serious jewellery obsession. I love my jewellery and never leave the house without wearing a necklace, earrings and a bangle or a chunky ring. However I love unique pieces that you can't buy just anywhere and used to struggle to find those special pieces so began making my own.

Square Earrings - Vintage Rose Garden  - Turquoise Pink - Surgical Steel Posts HypoallergenicSquare Earrings - Vintage Rose Garden - Turquoise Pink - Surgical Steel Posts Hypoallergenic
by kelliechristie




Kellie Christie Design was born after I finished my university degree in Fine Art. I was working full time by day and creating by night. As I developed my products and brand I began selling through various retail stores and also at local handmade craft markets.

Bunting Necklace - Nautical - Red Blue White - Made to OrderBunting Necklace - Nautical - Red Blue White - Made to Order
by kelliechristie




Becoming a full time parent has given me the time and freedom to develop my brand and learn exciting new techniques. I have worked with many different techniques from simple beading with resin beads and buttons, making my own resin buttons, resin jewellery and more recently shrink plastic jewellery.

Hexagon Earrings - Geometric Triangles - Blue - Surgical Steel Posts HypoallergenicHexagon Earrings - Geometric Triangles - Blue - Surgical Steel Posts Hypoallergenic
by kelliechristie




What got you to open your shop on etsy?
I discovered the world of etsy completely by accident and then spent hours and days just looking at the amazing creations by other people. I felt really inspired and loved that Etsy was all about handmade products and created my shop straight away.

What's your home like?
VERY LOUD! I have 2 boys who are into the usual boy stuff so my house has lego, matchbox cars and skylanders everywhere. My creating time is usually at night time after the boys have gone to bed. A few years ago we converted our garage into a studio which I share with my husband. He is a gamer so our space is part computer room and part studio.

Bunting Necklace - Geometric Triangles - Purple - Made to OrderBunting Necklace - Geometric Triangles - Purple - Made to Order
by kelliechristie




Tips for other etsy artists?
PHOTOGRAPHY! There is nothing worse then bad photos on Etsy. When customers can't physically see and touch the product you really need to make sure your photos are fantastic and accurately portray your products.

Most important thing you've changed about your shop or products since starting on etsy?
My whole product range has changed completely since I first joined Etsy. I used to make button jewellery however in the last 18 months my style has changed dramatically and I have been working with shrink plastics and resin.

Green Kombi - Post Earrings - Hypoallergenic Surgical SteelGreen Kombi - Post Earrings - Hypoallergenic Surgical Steel
by kelliechristie




Have you bought anything cool off etsy lately?
I am obsessed with jewellery so I have bought a few things lately from fellow Aussie designers Danidot and ikandi.

No comments:

Post a Comment