Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Featured artist: KozyCanines handmade dog coats & jackets

I'm always glancing through the most winning contest shops and a few weeks ago ran across KozyCanines, a shop based in Canada full of jackets & coats for dogs! The designs are unique, fully lined, well-made, and great for keeping your best friend nice and warm. I contacted Mary for a few questions about herself and what goes into her wonderful shop!

Dog Coat - Black Gray and White Houndstooth Fleece Coat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size14th place December 28th, 2012
December 28th! Items from $28-$28.99.

Dog Coat - Black Gray and White Houndstooth Fleece Coat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by Kozycanines




Tell us a bit about yourself?
I'm a stay at home Mom whose kids have grown and almost left, and live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I've always been a crafter, but never came into my own until about 10 years ago. I spent many years as a cashier for a big grocery chain and it stopped being fun when they stopped offering any kind of customer service. I found I was taking my stress home, on top of shift work, so I quit. After struggling for many years to find that 'impossible' budget, I looked around for ways to contribute but still give my kids the mom at home experience they loved.

Dog Jacket - Gray and Wine Fleece Plaid Dog Coat- XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom SizeFeatured December 25th, 2012
Hue Tuesday! White items from $25-$27.99.

Dog Jacket - Gray and Wine Fleece Plaid Dog Coat- XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by Kozycanines




What got started making handmade items?
My mother was an excellent seamstress, she made all the dresses for my sister's wedding. But I had a bad experience in Home Economics in Grade 8 with an atrocious skort, so I lost interest for years. I started again when my kids needed Halloween costumes, then dress up clothes, then following the latest fad. Fast forward, and I'm a total sewaholic!! My mom is still better than me.

Dog Jacket -  Fleece Plaid Dog Coat- XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size49th place December 13th, 2012
Theme Thursday! Plaid items from $1-$50.

Dog Jacket - Fleece Plaid Dog Coat- XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by Kozycanines




What got you to open your shop on etsy?
I have always had lots of animals, strays, rescues and fosters and genuinely enjoy making clothes, tents, and toys for them. My husband and kids were pretty relieved when I found a creative outlet for all my dog coats instead of showing them to them all the time! Plus, all my family and friends had too many coats for their dogs to wear for the next ten years!

Dog Coat - No Velcro- Buckle Black and White Houndstooth Coat- Size XX SmallDog Coat - No Velcro- Buckle Black and White Houndstooth Coat- Size XX Small
by KozyCanines




What's your home like?
My home is very, very small and very, very full! Full of animals and love and lots of sewing stuff. When my son moves out, I'm claiming his room as my sewing room, since I have two unofficial sewing rooms tucked into small corners of the house. It's hard to sew in the living room when my lovebirds climb all over the machine! I'm afraid I'll attach one to a coat! Also, my fabric stash is ENTIRELY out of hand, as every seamstress knows!

Dog Coat - Red and White Polka Dot Raincoat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom SizeDog Coat - Red and White Polka Dot Raincoat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by KozyCanines




What inspires you?
I like to wander through fabric stores or ebay and look for different pieces of fabric, something different than all the other dog coats out there. I have a really good memory of the types of fleece in my stash, so I can always buy a fabric to match up with the perfect fleece for the lining. I also never buy whole bolts of fabric and just crank out coats, I may make a dozen or so of some of the more popular types of fabrics, but really enjoy making limited editions (if I only found a small piece of fabric) or even one of a kind!

Grey Black Red and White  Houndstooth Coat- Size Medium- 16 to 18 Inch Back Length - Or Custom SizeGrey Black Red and White Houndstooth Coat- Size Medium- 16 to 18 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by KozyCanines




Tips for other etsy artists?
It's the same answer you probably get over and over but, love what you do! If you truly love your work, it shows! Your customers will feel it and know that you made their item with care. I love getting pictures of all the dogs in their coats! I imagine all these dogs walking around in countries all over the world in my coats! Yes, I've sold all over the world! I keep a big map and fill it with pins to see where my coats go.

Dog Jacket -  Orange Sorbet Argyle Fleece Dog Coat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom SizeDog Jacket - Orange Sorbet Argyle Fleece Dog Coat- Size XX Small- 8 to 10 Inch Back Length - Or Custom Size
by KozyCanines




Have you bought anything cool off etsy lately?
Tons of stuff! That's where all my profit goes! Don't tell my husband. A sterling silver 'Mary' bracelet from CharminglyFun and a stained glass christmas tree from DesignsStainedGlass. Both so beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment