Saturday, May 19, 2012

Featured artist: heather rose custom dice & personalized gifts

Today's featured artists is Heather Rose, who had such a unique item in the top 10 one day it totally caught my eye: dice! She makes polymer clay dice, Candle Holders and more, and loves custom orders, which is crazy because nobody loves custom orders... anyway let's find out more!

Pair of Rainbow Multi-Colored Unique Dice (Six Sided - D6)April 6th, 2012 - 9th place
Pair of Rainbow Multi-Colored Unique Dice (Six Sided - D6)
by heatherrose82




Tell us a bit about yourself
Well, I am a 33 year old female living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’m currently unemployed which has it’s obvious drawbacks, but I keep myself busy. I probably never would have started crafting, had I not been looking for creative ways to make extra money and stay busy. I live with my other half in a small house in the East Bay Area. Until recently, I always worked in administrative jobs in various industries, but I wanted something different. I hated being in an office all day, usually on the phone or typing - doing such repetitive work was mind numbing. Now, for the time being, I am able to explore “creative and hands-on” work . I never before considered myself an artist. I am amazed at the new side of myself I’ve discovered.

Purple, Black & Silver Polymer Clay Covered Candle HolderApril 14th, 2012 - featured
Purple, Black & Silver Polymer Clay Covered Candle Holder
by heatherrose82





What got started?
Dice. I’ve always enjoyed playing games and dice games have always been my favorite. Yahtzee, Craps, Farkle (10,000) and more. Well, socially, we played fairly frequently and this is when my secret artist side started knocking harder. The dice were boring, usually just black and white or maybe a solid plain color. I first looked online to try and find “fancy dice”. They were hard to find and usually a little pricey or just not unique enough.

My first decorated dice were done with nail polish on plain white Bicycle dice. I filled in the dots with a hot pink nail polish I had just gotten. They looked awesome and I started winning all the time with them. And, it was fun to do. From there, I started trying to come up with ways to decorate the dice even more. I have a box full of dice painted with nail polish. And while many of those are really cool, I still was looking for a way to make them even more unique.

Pair of Gunmetal Grey, Black and Red Unique Dice (Six Sided - D6)Pair of Gunmetal Grey, Black and Red Unique Dice (Six Sided - D6)
by heatherrose82




How did you choose your medium?
One day I searched “make your own dice” and found a site that said “make them out of clay”. I immediately went to Michael’s and discovered polymer clay. The minute I saw it, I knew…I found my dice solution. I probably bought ten packs that first time. When I got home, I quickly started playing with it and made a simple swirl of two colors. Through trial and error I figured out the best way to shape them, and then started thinking about the pips (dots). At first I painted them on. Then I tried drilling the holes, filling them with nail polish or clay. And, compared to just painting on dice, being able to control the size, color and shape of the dice was exhilarating. I kept making them for friends, trying new methods or materials. The rhinestone pips were a major breakthrough for me, saving time in the process and looking better than any painted dot or drilled hole.

After a short time, I started looking up what other people were doing with polymer clay and as I suspected, people were making amazing things. At Christmas , I thought I would save money and make ornaments for family and friends. They turned out so well, everyone was impressed and amazed I had made them myself. Between the dice and the ornaments, people started encouraging me to try to sell online. I was selling lots of sets of dice and figured why not? And I’m glad I did!



Purple and Gold Mosiac Compact Mirror with Rhinestone and Bead Accents - BeautifulPurple and Gold Mosiac Compact Mirror with Rhinestone and Bead Accents - Beautiful
by heatherrose82




What got you to open your shop on etsy?
Other people. They kept saying over and over, “Heather, you could sell these! They are really good!” My sister had talked about Etsy before to me but I never really checked it out until this point. When I saw that my crafts were as good if not better than most, I found the confidence to give it a shot. And, I have gotten a great response, pushing me to create even more. Etsy is not only a place to sell to me, but it’s also a souce of inspiration and a good measuring tool. Comparing my own work to other people’s goods pushes me to find new innovative ways to stand out from the crowd and create something that people can use and appreciate.

Pair of Tiger Stripes with Green Game Playing Dice (D6 - Six Sided)Pair of Tiger Stripes with Green Game Playing Dice (D6 - Six Sided)
by heatherrose82




What's your home like?
Small. I have a little work area out in the garage that I spend most of my time in. I look forward to the time when we can move and I have more space to take over with my art. My boyfriend is completely supportive of my past time and he comes up with some awesome ideas. Plus, he is always willing to help me when I need it and will do some of the harder work involved with this medium. I am lost with out him.

Glow in the Dark Stars w/Blue Night Sky Light Switch Plate, Perfect for KidsGlow in the Dark Stars w/Blue Night Sky Light Switch Plate, Perfect for Kids
by heatherrose82




What inspires you?
Everything. When I’m not in my “studio” I’m usually always thinking about new things to make or new colors to try. I have so many ideas and so many of them are feasible, it’s overwhelming sometimes. I’ll just overload with ideas and jump from one to the next. Often times, I will have an idea that I want to see, but don’t know how to create. Sometimes it will take 10 tries before the light bulb lights up and I figure out how to turn the idea into a real thing. I love the challenge! More than 75% of my orders are custom orders…people will see items I’ve made and want specific colors or patterns. It’s such a challenge to visualize what they describe and then figure out how to bring it to life.

Tips for other etsy artists?
Well, my biggest tip would be to find a product or idea that is practical and stands out from the crowd. But that seems like an obvious tip. My other one would be, don’t underestimate yourself. I did for a long time. Sometimes we create and when it’s not exactly what we thought it would be we think it’s a failure. But so often, other people see the beauty and they don’t view it as anything but what it is. They don’t see a failure at all.

Beautiful Translucent Aqua, Green & Gold Covered Glass Candle HolderBeautiful Translucent Aqua, Green & Gold Covered Glass Candle Holder
by heatherrose82





Want to make an "I did great at the contest" acceptance speech?
Thank you. I am honored. Buy some dice!

Custom Dice - Choose Your Own Colors - Any colors with colored rhinestone pips.  Made to order.Custom Dice - Choose Your Own Colors - Any colors with colored rhinestone pips. Made to order.
by heatherrose82


No comments:

Post a Comment