Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Featured artist & inteview: jarg0n

We have over 2700 shops signed up for the contest these days, wow! And the one with the highest winning average out of all of them is jarg0n, a geeky knitter from yorkshire with wonderful things to say. I'm happy to be learning more about this shop, her items are absolutely delightful!

Knitted teapot cozy novelty red devil horns tea cosy knit unique unusual cozies Made to OrderJune 3rd, 2012 - featured
Knitted teapot cozy novelty red devil horns tea cosy knit unique unusual cozies Made to Order
by jarg0n




Tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m 42 years old and was born and raised in the North of England, a true Yorkshire lass.
I live with my partner Mick, my 15 year old son and our two cats Betty and Pixel (known as Fatty and Meanie, respectively).
I've home educated my son for the last 3 and a half years with help from a charity called “Red Balloon” who work with severely bullied children and try to get them back into education.

Monster beanie crazy hat unique unusual monster knit hats handmade critter beanie in deep pink with eyeballsMonster beanie crazy hat unique unusual monster knit hats handmade critter beanie in deep pink with eyeballs
by jarg0n




What got you started making handmade items?
My mum and gran used to craft stuff all the time, so I guess it’s just something I’ve been brought up with. These were craftswomen from a tougher time, back when crochet was a fine art and there was no wool that couldn’t be knitted. I learned to knit at a very early age and was always more creative than academic.
As a teenager I was really into the punk and goth scene, and since most shops were reluctant to sell leather neckbands I made almost all my own clothes. I remember one of my outfits was created from a school blackout curtain and part of a cricket net I cut down one break time (sorry Mr. Thomlinson).
When I left school I did art at college before going into care work as a job. However for some reason they never appreciated my ability to knit baby hats blindfolded, so my creativity was put on hold for a few years.

Bow scarf knitted ascot scarf retro 50s style scarflette neck warmer in beautiful rainbow colorsMay 31st, 2012 - 15th place
Bow scarf knitted ascot scarf retro 50s style scarflette neck warmer in beautiful rainbow colors
by jarg0n




What got you to open your shop on etsy?
When I began to home educate my son I found I had more time on my hands at home, so I reentered the crafting world with just a few balls of wool and a couple of hat designs. My partner mentioned etsy, so I took a look round the site and loved it! My mum had just recently retired so I asked if she wanted to open a shop up with me on etsy with her doing the crochet and me the knitted items. We have enjoyed every day since!

What is your home like?
We have a small terraced house very close to the town center. Since I opened the shop our living room has turned into a maze of bookcases, drawers and boxes stuffed with enough wool to make an alpaca cringe!

When I moved in the only thing I wanted was to shell out for the dining table of our dreams. Unfortunately those dreams have just been crushed by my partner Mick, who’s started using the table for his two laptops and a 3D printer he’s using to start his own Etsy shop (“because who needs family dinners, anyway?”).

Anime cat ears headband knit animal ears brown ear warmer cute chunky cat hairbandAnime cat ears headband knit animal ears brown ear warmer cute chunky cat hairband
by jarg0n




What inspires you?
Lots of different things. It can be a cartoon, or a picture, or (in the case of the shrunken head bags) those old black and white horror movies about monsters beating up hysterical teenagers.
Knitting has always been classed as a pretty old fashioned craft and I try to push the boundaries of what can be created.

Knit frilly scarf ruffle flamenco cancan burlesque scarf in rich purple and burgundy berry redsKnit frilly scarf ruffle flamenco cancan burlesque scarf in rich purple and burgundy berry reds
by jarg0n




Tips for other etsy artists?
Create what you love and enjoy the downtime when you are not selling, this is the time that you can create many new things for your shop without pressure. :)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely article from a very talented fellow knitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview, loved your cricket net story :)

    ReplyDelete