Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Featured artist: Elycia Camille Ceci pottery & personalized gifts

Today's featured shop is elyciacamille.etsy.com, which features handmade pottery and accessories including lots of WONDERFUL personalized gifts, so even if it's a bit late for this mother's day, I'd say get your orders in now for next year! I just love this shop. Oh and I noticed she's having a 30% off spring sale (use code SpringSale30OFF) so now I'm even more tempted. You can also find her on facebook at facebook.com/elyciacamille.

We're up to 2000 shops signed up for the contest, can you believe it? Anyway her winning average puts her in the top 30, so that's what got me wanting to know more about her!

white earthenware adjustable ring, brown flowers, antiqued silverMay 7th, 2012 - featured
white earthenware adjustable ring, brown flowers, antiqued silver
by elyciacamille




Tell us a bit about yourself
Hello! My name is Elycia Camille Ceci, owner, designer and producer of ElyciaCamille Handmade Ceramic Art. I have been living in beautiful Southern Illinois the last seven years. I spend my time in my home studio or outdoors. I live minutes from Shawnee National Forest where I fish, hike, swim, kayak, pick mushrooms, camp and hike. This is where I get most of my inspiration.

reversible anklet or bracelet, pink flower, green printApril 13th, 2012 - 55th place
reversible anklet or bracelet, pink flower, green print
by ElyciaCamille




What got started in ceramics?
I grew up in a very small town in Illinois. The population was 300 and the high school art program was not very good. I knew I loved being creative though. I learned everything I could including drawing, sewing, jewelry making, crochet, cross stitching, photography, etc. I first fell in love with ceramics when I was in college. I graduated with majors in Ceramics and Graphic Design, with a minor in Art History from Southern Illinois University. I now work at home in my studio, and love it.

handmade ceramic earrings, dangle, purple flowers, antique copper colored fish hookshandmade ceramic earrings, dangle, purple flowers, antique copper colored fish hooks
by elyciacamille




What inspires you?
I love the calm life I live. Most people live on schedules rushing to work each day. For the most part, I don't have places to be, so I am able to take in the people, nature and other beautiful things around me. This is a big influence in my work. I strive to find ways to bring attention to details and force the viewer to look at an object in a different way, or just take time to look in general. By placing imagery on the inside or bottoms of cups for example, I have forced the viewer to turn the piece over, taking a few extra minutes, to fully enjoy and appreciate all of the details. I often use patterns and textures that are somewhat altered in certain places, causing a person to miss out on the details (or little secrets) if they don't pay close attention. I love being able to slow people down, letting them enjoy things more. I am also inspired by nature. I feel like it is one of the many interactions we overlook. Nature is in the city, growing from the cracks of the sidewalks. I use a lot of animal, flower, and insect imagery. I also use found objects in nature to create texture.

brown and green, business card holder and mug, office set, co worker gift, earthenware potterybrown and green, business card holder and mug, office set, co worker gift, earthenware pottery
by elyciacamille




Tips for other etsy artists?
Just don't give up. In college I was slightly discouraged by the push to get into teaching art. A great mentor of mine encouraged me to follow my own path of creativity. It's not always over night success, but every day business gets better. I think those little successes each day are part of the excitement anyway.

One Miniature Cup - Customize It With Your Name Or A Phrase - Size BOne Miniature Cup - Customize It With Your Name Or A Phrase - Size B
by elyciacamille


No comments:

Post a Comment